Useful Information


Find a public notary

The function of notaries is to prepare and certify the execution of legal documents for use nationally and internationally. Please click here to go to a list of public notaries. This list is subject to change. Visit for further information.

Free Legal Advice

Citizens Advice Bureau

The Citizens Advice service helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice, and by influencing policymakers.

For advice by phone, the general number for England is 0344 848 7700.

Law Centres

 Law Centres provide an independent legal advice and representation service. They employ solicitors and specialists in areas of ‘social welfare’ law to help individuals and communities.

Law Centres focus on providing legal services to people who may be marginalised in society or who are experiencing discrimination.

Vauxhall Law Centre 0151 482 2540
Merseyside Law Centre 0151 709 0504

Legal Aid

The Legal Aid Agency runs the legal aid scheme in England and Wales. 

The LAA works in partnership with solicitors and not-for-profit organisations to provide information, advice and legal representation to people in need.
They also make sure that people get the information, advice and legal help they need to deal with a wide range of problems.

For new Legal Aid enquiries:
Civil Legal Advice is a helpline offering free, confidential and independent legal advice. They can help with debt, employment, benefits and tax credits, housing and education problems if you live on a low income or benefits.

Help is available on 0845 345 4345.

For existing enquiries for people already on Legal Aid in the Merseyside area:

Phone and email

There is further information about sources of free legal advice here.


back to top ^


Unrepresented people

The Law Society and other legal organisations have produced some guidelines for for people who are unrepresented in court, or Litigants in Person.  Please click here to see the guidelines.  This will open a PDF.



Register of firms which no longer exist.

If you are looking for a firm which no longer appears to be in business, Liverpool Law Society keeps limited records for firms in the Merseyside area. Please contact 0151 236 6998 and choose the General Enquiries option for further information.
A comprehensive list of out-of-practice firms is kept by the Law Society of England and Wales in London. Visit or call 020 7242 1222 and ask for the Records Department.

back to top ^

Looking for a will

Probate records (1858-present)

You may request copies of wills and administrations from the Probate Service. The index to these records, known as the National Probate Calendar, is available to consult at the

Probate Search Room,
First Avenue House,
42-49 High Holborn,
London WC1V 6NP
Tel 020 7947 6000

The Probate Service does not hold any records or documents prior to 1858. If you require information about these, you are recommended to contact:

The National Archives,
Surrey, TW9 4DU
Tel: +44 (0) 020 8392 5330

back to top ^


Complaints against solicitors

If you are dissatisfied with the service of your solicitor, you should first put the complaint in writing to your solicitors’ firm. Liverpool Law Sociey does not perform a regulatory function in respect of our members.

You must put your complaint in writing to the Complaints Partner or to the Complaints Manager at the solicitor’s firm where an “in-house” complaints procedure should be followed. If you have a copy of a formal engagement letter or an information sheet provided at the outset of the work that your solicitor undertook, you should refer to this, as it should contain details of their complaints procedure. Keep copies of all the correspondence and allow 8 weeks for a response to your complaint.

If you need advice regarding complaints or if you feel that conciliation will not provide a suitable means of dealing with your complaint, you should view the Legal Ombudsman website or contact them by telephone  on 0300 555 0333.

back to top ^

Complaints against barristers

The Bar Standards Board is the official representative body for barristers. For general enquiries, please telephone 0207 242 0082. If you have a complaint against a barrister, information is available on their website here or alternatively ring their information line on 020 7611 1444.

back to top ^

Complaints against legal executives

Cilex Regulation is the independent regulator of members of The Chartered Institute of Legal Executives (CILEx). It oversees the education, qualification and practice standards of Chartered Legal Executives and other CILEx members and promotes proper standards of professional and personal conduct.  Visit their website here or contact them on  01234 845770

back to top ^

 Library Signposting

Liverpool Law Society's library closed in March 2008.  There are no longer any library services available at the Society's premises.  The links and information on sources of legal material provided may be of assistance. Read More>>

back to top ^

 PR Information

The Law Society can provide assistance and helpful advice to those practitioners not lucky enough to have their own PR departments. Read More>>

back to top ^

Other useful links and contacts:

The Law Society is the professional body for solicitors in England and Wales. It serves society by working to improve access to the law providing services and support for solicitors and setting the standards that underpin the profession's reputation as the best independent professional advisers. Visit their site at

Trust and Estate Practitioners: The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) is the professional body for the trust and estate profession worldwide. STEP members are experts from the legal, accounting and banking professions and their website can help you to find an expert in your area.
The site can be found here:

The Land Registry : The web site provides information about the Land Registry, forms for lodging applications, and publications offering guidance on a range of subjects. They are also able to provide a range of additional facilities for their customers who have particular needs.

The site also offers a property price database where you can find average prices of residential property in England and Wales. For information about Land Registration in Scotland please visit the Registers of Scotland.

For a full list of links click here

back to top ^