Around 100,000 people a year enter a formal personal insolvency procedure. The fall out from Covid-19 is likely to significantly increase the figure. Lawyers of all disciplines should therefore be aware of the mechanics of personal insolvency law. This course aims to give lawyers from any background practical guidance on personal insolvency. The course will cover:
- Debtors’ petitions (and the new out of court adjudication process)
- Statutory demands
- Creditors’ petitions
- Applications to annul bankruptcy orders
- Assets which vest in the trustee
- The matrimonial home
- Preferences and undervalues
- Bankruptcy Restriction Orders
- Debt Relief Orders
- Individual voluntary arrangements
Core Competencies: A2 – A5, B3, B4, B6, B7 and D3
Aimed at: Fee earners in any legal discipline whose practice may encounter personal insolvency.
Learning outcomes: To give attendees a practical grounding in personal insolvency issues so as to be able to provide a better service to clients.