This course will update you on the things you need to know in the area of criminal law generally. We all know that we should keep up-to-date with legislation, case- law, statutory instruments and material published by the Sentencing Council but it is just a question of finding the time! Fortunately, Colin has both the time and the inclination to sift through everything and to extract those things which you really need to know.
The following items will be covered during the course:
- The Sentencing Act 2020 (or Sentencing Code if you prefer) – in force and relevant for anyone convicted on or after 1st December 2020
- The Criminal Procedure Rules 2020 (as amended by the 2021 Rules) – in force and relevant from 5th October 2020 – amended Rules (February 2021) and (April 2021)
- The Domestic Abuse Act 2021 – received Royal Assent on the 29th April 2021 – those parts in force which are relevant for criminal practitioners
- The contents of the Counter-Terrorism and Sentencing Act 2021 – see Section 50 of the Act for those parts which came into force when the Act received Royal Assent earlier this year
- New Magistrates’ Court and Youth Court PET forms and the guidance in relation to those forms – relevant on or after 7th June 2021
- New Guidance published by the Justices’ Clerk’s Society in relation to Allocation and Sending – February 2021
- New Guidelines published by the Sentencing Council – common assault through to attempted murder – Guidelines operative for anyone sentenced on or after 1st of July 2021
- The ‘distilled essence’ of the really important case-law for criminal practitioners covering 2021 – 2019
Can’t make the date/time or need to revisit the training? No problem, booking onto this event means you will receive a link to access a recording of the event at your leisure!
The link will be sent within approx 72hrs of live broadcast & be available for approx. 3 months, to view as many times as you wish.