This course is 2 afternoon sessions: PART 1: 20th October 2020, 2pm till 4.45pm AND PART 2: 27th October 2020, 2pm till 4.45pm
Supervisors are the key to a successful contracting relationship with the Legal Aid Agency. You have to have at least one and they are your first line of defence against audit problems.
This course covers everything supervisors need to know and includes case study examples. Attending both parts will qualify a new supervisor who hasn’t supervised before under Standard Contract Specification requirements for both the Civil/Family Standard Contract 2018 and Crime Standard Contract 2017. It is also a useful refresher for experienced supervisors.
You will learn about:
- Latest developments in legal aid – including COVID-19 related amendments
- Relevant SQM and Lexcel provisions
- SRA Competence Statement requirements for supervision
- How supervisors qualify and maintain status
- The main types of legal aid audit, including Contract Manager visits and peer review
- The LAA’s timetable for resuming audit and contract management activity
- Characteristics of good supervision
- What supervisors need to look for in file reviews
- An introduction to the inter-personal skills supervisors need; listening and feedback
- Different approaches to supervision
- Finding the time to supervise