A must-attend training event for solicitors, barristers and other practitioners involved with employment law. The conference will round-up key developments in law & practice, providing an opportunity to hear directly from some excellent speakers.
9.00 – 9.30 Registration
9.30 – 9.35 Chair welcomes & opening address ~ Lindsey Knowles, Kirwans
9.35 – 10.20 Whistleblowing – is it fit for purpose? ~ James Boyd, Kings Chambers
- Whistleblowing from a practical legal purpose
- The changes brought about by the ERRA
- Tips to avoid the Tribunal
- Tactics if you find yourself there on a whistleblowing claim
10.20 – 11.05 Employment Status – the continuing ramifications of the Taylor Review ~Michael Hibbs, Shakespeare Martineau
- Where are we with Government proposals for legislation?
- Where are we with case law developments in the “gig economy”?
- How can businesses be flexible and fair to employees?
- Helping businesses to determine who they engage and with what status
11.05 – 11.20
11.20 – 12.10 Restrictive Covenants ~ Mike Duggan QC
- Drafting the perfect restrictive covenant
- Non-compete, non-deal and non-solicitation – which will work?
- Protecting confidential information
- Compensation and negotiation damages
- The recent cases on covenants
12.10 – 1
1 – 1.45 Dealing with team moves – injunctions and other relief in the High Court ~ Kate Steele, Hill Dickinson LLP
- How and when to apply for interim injunctions
- The High Court process
- Expedited trials and other “alternatives”
1.45 – 2.45 Employment Law Update ~ Daniel Northall, Littleton Chambers
A session exploring all the latest, cutting-edge case law developments in employment law in 2018, including in the areas of:
- Contracts of employment
- Notice of termination
- Disability discrimination
- Constructive dismissal
- Taxation of compensation
- And anything else that emerges!
2.45 – 3.30 Whose Mind Is It Anyway? – Employment Judge Kenderik Horn
- Identifying the correct decision-makers in discrimination, unfair dismissal and detriment claims
- Analysis of the decisions in CLFIS v. Reynolds, Royal Mail Group Ltd v. Jhuti and Malik v. Cenkos Securities plc
- Practical issues and how to address them
3.30 – 3.45 Chair summary & close